15 July 2007

Today we said good-bye to York and spent most of the day in transit to our next destination, St Alban's. The choir's duties of concert singing have now concluded; from now on services will be the main responsibility.

Along the way to St Alban's we stopped for lunch at Lincoln Cathedral (where the choir pulled together a single piece--Byrd's 'Laudibus in Sanctis'--to sing there). Unfortunately Sunday afternoon was not the most convenient time to have lunch in that tiny area (yes, with more cobblestone streets), so most ended up waiting over an hour for their food (I eventually managed to have some Thai curry...at a pub...). But we managed to leave Lincoln on time and continued for another couple hours until reaching St Alban's at about 6:00pm.

Evensong at the Cathedral was nearly finished. After setting down our luggage we went out to the lawn to play British Bulldogs (a game which I had never seen before). Soon after, the choristers of St Alban's were ready to proceed with the highly anticipated football game.

It is my solemn duty to inform you that the St Alban's choristers defeated St Thomas's 3-0.

I chose not to humiliate myself by playing, though most others did. It was an aggressive match.

Immediately afterwards we went home with host familes. I'm staying about 15 minutes from town (near to a studio at which 'The Goblet of Fire' sequences were filmed). So far it's been really great (a beautiful dog was here just a second ago licking me unceasingly).

I have finally been able to upload some photos. I've posted them in the appropriate locations according to where they were taken. Hopefully this will add more insight into the tour for all those reading from across the pond (and elsewhere!).

My stash of Crunchies is one bar away from emptiness. I will soon need to replenish my source of life--our next destination, Windsor, will no doubt have some places where I may do this. Until later, thank you and namaste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photos are a terrific addition! And I'm totally with you on the Crunchie bars. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Another excerpt from the BBC Radio 3 message boards:

"I was fortunate enough to be present at choral evensong in St Paul's last evening when the choir of St Thomas's sang the service. It was a joy to see the filled choir stalls and a good three quarters of the nave filled. The service was truly beautifully sung. I thought that the boys must have been very tired after their flight and busy itinerary but no, not a sign of fatigue. Everything sparkled. I hope to be in St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle on Sunday for Evensong. The choir sings Saturday evensong at 5.15 p.m. and all three Sunday services there this weekend. I listen in to the website services regularly and never cease to be amazed at the superb standards reached by this choir.
Thank you, John Scott and everyone and a safe journey home after giving us such joy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio3/F7497568?thread=4320592&latest=1#p51185194